Thursday, December 11, 2014

Want Something Doing? Ask A Busy Person!

Almost eight years ago, I worked for a pharmaceutical consultancy as a PA, loved my job and was well paid but at the same time was heavily involved with Children in Distress.  Then an opportunity arose for me to work for the charity part time (I’m contracted to work 21 hours per week) and, as I was nearing retirement age (I was almost 56 at the time) I thought it would be the perfect end to my working life to work from home “part time” and raise money to help look after the kids I had come to love so dearly.

Eight years on I am convinced I must have had a very “senior moment” to have thought it would be ideal to work from home – my house now resembles some kind of refugee warehouse, I get phone calls just as I’ve settled down to try and watch my favourite programme on TV (these supporters wouldn’t ring the office at this time of night because no-one would be there but they know that I will be!), I work much, much more than my allotted 21 hours per week, I haven’t had time to take any holiday leave for over two years, my “retired” husband has now become an unpaid “gopher” for the charity and we both LOVE IT!!  There, you thought I was having a huge moan didn’t you??!!  I guess I probably was in a way because here we are, two weeks before Christmas and this is what my lounge and kitchen looks like at present………………………………….
 
My "kitchen"

My "lounge"
 
but all these bags and boxes are full of beautifully knit blankets, jumpers, cardigans, hats, scarves, gloves and toys for the children in Romania so it is all worth it.  However, I now have all these to pack so that I can regain my home in time for Christmas………………….oh and I haven’t finished my Christmas shopping, haven’t done the baking and when I finally get round to buying the rest of the presents, they will need wrapping and as useful as my husband Pete is, he is lousy at wrapping presents so I’m on my own for that one!!  So if you want something done, ask a busy person (and I can guarantee that it WILL get done – might be last minute but it will be done!).
 
These are what makes it all worthwhile…………….
Some of our children at St Margaret's in Bucharest enjoying a visit from supporters

Maria, Nicoleta, Cristina and Rafi - four of our beautiful children from St Margaret's in Bucharest
 
Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year, thank you for reading this and for all of your support throughout 2014.
 
Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment